Monday, February 7, 2011

#1 Why Blog? Why Now?

There were some unfortunate souls who read the version 1.0 of this post. I spent a whole day brooding over why I even wrote such a pile of crap in the first place, and was determined of taking down this whole blog. But then, inside my head- I could hear the voice of a wise man (me) encouraging someone at some point of my life to never give up on whatever they were doing. Not wanting to feel like a hypocrite, after having felt like a moron for quite sometime today- here I am: bravely typing version 1.1 of Why Blog? Why Now?. (It's still #1 though. Hey, who cares?)

So, Why Blog? Well, for quite sometime now (let's say a couple of years)- I had this feeling that bloggers are bloody narcissistic bastards. (Now you know why I always looked at you like toadstool, if you're recoiling now). To be honest with you, I wasn't much of an internet surfer, when the advent of blogging began. Later on, the ones that I did stumble upon strongly reminded me of Barbie dolls. (I leave that to your imagination) Here, I am not just talking about real blogs. The ones I saw on movies and serials too weren't very encouraging. The way bloggers are kind of typecast as self-centered people only cemented my belief that blogging is indeed a narcissistic activity.
So, why am I doing this now? (How I love introspection). My idea of narcissism is wrong. Narcissism is to think too superior of yourself, right? Just because someone writes about themselves doesn't mean they've to be narcissistic. Probably, what one becomes when they blog too much about themselves is lose their privacy, but that's hardly narcissism. The very fact that blogs are a huge success is an indicator that people aren't as self-important and self-centered as I supposed they were. (Hey, who the fuck likes Paris Hilton?) People connecting with others on the internet based on their personal experiences is probably the core value of social networking.

Having proved myself to have been a jackass, the next question: Why Now? Well, I used to write short stories till about a year ago. (I might as well be saying that I'm sterile- how sad). I don't know why this happened. I just disconnected. I can think of many reasons for what went wrong. The one that makes most sense to me is that I didn't see myself making any clear progress as a writer. And then, last night- it struck me. It was not a revelation. (If you are imagining a halo behind my head, stop right there!) What struck me was what middle-aged working-class people go through- the feared 'mid-life crisis'. I don't want to get into the specifics of the horror. All I felt was this sudden urge to start writing again. But- about what? That, was when I had the revelation. Blogging.

I want to abide by two rules. (See, there's no fun without 'em) First, I shall never be a self-centered, self-important, narcissistic bastard. (Well, for all I know- I could very well be one. But, I hope to never write like one.) Second, I wish to keep doing this.

So here it is: The Theory of Everything. I hope to go back to the days, when I used to see interesting subjects everywhere, and passed running-commentary of everything I saw inside my head.

(Dissolve)

(Clint Mansell music)

3 comments: